Saturday, January 20, 2007

I was very wrong

I have deleted my "Farmers Branch Chris McGuire Right" post that I published yesterday because I had it all wrong.

In that post I stated that the Farmers Branch City Council's new proposed ordinance might be more challenging to defeat legally because it was tied into the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development's regulations that require rental tenants to submit evidence of citizenship or immigration status to apartment owners and/or property managers. I stated that because I thought the tie-in with the HUD regulations was a new and clever way on the part of the FB City Council to maintain their controversial measure banning landlords from renting to unauthorized immigrants. But I was very wrong about that because their original Ordinance 2892 also contained that same tie-in with the HUD requirements. Now, I looked at Ordinance 2892 before castigating it several times here in the past and I should have recalled that it too has a clearly-stated tie-in to the HUD citizenship/eligible immigrant status requirement. But I failed big time to remember that fact when writing my post yesterday. The whole premise of my argument was, therefore, senseless. I should have done a side-by-side comparison of the old and new ordinances and then reported on the differences. I failed to do that and my failure resulted in my publishing an inaccurate and very non-credible post.

I wrote a hit-piece not fully knowing what I was talking about and I regret doing that very, very much.

In order to accumulate the wisdom enabling us to do the right thing in life, we're supposed to learn from our misjudgments and mistakes. I certainly have done so with my blunder here. Color me chagrined.

No comments: